Tuesday 30 April 2013

To drive or not to drive? Motivation is key

At 18, we all start getting excited at the thought of getting our driver's license. Life in the fast lane.....independence.

However, the people around you, including driver's instructors don't tell you how nerve-wracking it is to actually do the test. Trust me, I know! Yes, sure they can't tell you how you will be feeling on the day. They just give you the usual "you will feel nervous but don't worry you are going to be okay". Easier said than done!

As I type this blog, I am 32 and passed my driving test on the 7th try. Every time I went, I felt more nervous than before even though I had been driving for a good while - even driving on my own. Thank goodness, I had a family around me to keep motivating me to keep trying but nothing helped me with the nerves until I met my last driving instructor. And I had to motivate myself especially when I became a Mom.

After 10 lessons with him, he told he couldn't teach me anymore but urged me to take Calmettes at least a week before my test, which I did. Man, was I glad I listened. Yes, my heart was racing, I couldn't barely breathe but I was able to concentrate on the task ahead.

Needless to say, the time before the test seemed more nerve-wracking as my driving instructor and I misunderstood each other. I thought he booked me, he thought I was first going to have lessons in between and I thought I didn't need them. So there I was on a Saturday morning, ready by 05h30 to be picked up 06h00. 06h00 came and went and so it 06h30. 06h45 I phoned him to find out where he was and he was just as surprised as I am. I was supposed to have a "warm-up" lesson as I hadn't driven the car in two weeks.

My poor driving instructor sped to pick me up by 07h10 (remembering that I had to be at the traffic department by 07h15), still needing to put fuel in the vehicle. Fuel in and we got to the traffic department by 07h20.

Without a "warm-up", I managed to do the test, barely breathing, hands shaking, heart racing but with Calmettes in my system.

Now, I have my driver's license and certain friends/family are more nervous to drive with me now that I am legal than we I had my learner's. Go figure!!!!

What's the point of this story?

DON'T GIVE UP - SOMEWHERE OUT THERE, THERE IS ANOTHER PERSON JUST LIKE YOU, GOING THROUGH A SIMILAR SITUATION AND THERE ARE OTHERS WHO HAVE ACHIEVED WHAT YOU ARE ATTEMPTING.

WHEN IN DOUBT, REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST PERSON TO DO IT!!

Sometimes we always wait for someone to motivate us, give us the positivity we need. Of course, there is nothing wrong with this but we also need to motivate ourselves. Remind ourselves all the good things to come from obtaining a goal, especially when a goal seems to become an obstacle.

Self-motivation also helps us to become emotionally stronger. It helps us to deal with emotions that cause us not to try. Without you realizing it, you could be viewed as a role model for someone who needs motivation. Keep telling yourself that you can do it and you will do it.

Encourage yourself while others encourage you too!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this. I am experiencing the same thing. Had my Learners 3 times and let it expire. I eventually did my test but didn't even make it out the yard. The instructor recommended Calmettes. I am doing my drivers in two months and was wondering how many tablets I should take - 2 or 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. My instructor told me to take Calmettes at least 2 weeks before the test. You should take according to the label. I took 2 tablets with every meal. I did this so the medication was in my system by the time the test came.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thank you for the encouraging words, I really needed to read that hey. I will be doing to my driver test for the 7th time and just to go and book lessons was a struggle..I kept putting it off for silly reasons. I'm glad I read your post and I'm determined that I won't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's miles absolutely a beneficial weblog to discover some wonderful supply to characteristic my data. I came into conscious of new professionals and they dealt with my tasks thoroughly. Driving school in Falls church

    ReplyDelete