Thursday 21 July 2016

Spiritual Strength




First, a little background to my story. I am currently doing my three months orientation to be a volunteer Chaplain for the Fire Department and believe me when I say this opportunity scares me and God really has taken me out of my comfort zone because I am doing this on my own in a world I don't know.  I don't even know if this is where God wants me to be but I know He will tell me. And now my story.....

This week, I have to prepare some words of encouragement as part of my Chaplaincy orientation for this coming Sunday and I am terrified but I silenced myself  and gave my fear to God. The word "hero" kept filling my mind. And like a good believer, I whipped out my Bible and starting searching and reflecting on what it means to be a hero. I had so many thoughts going on in my mind that I gave myself a headache and left my attempt for another day.  I was mentally tired over this and then last night in an episode of Chicago Fire, a Chaplain mentioned Philipians 4: 13.


Getting the message (especially the scene was a discussion between a Chaplain and a Fire Fighter!) after 8 pm, I jumped up and made to sure to write it down, with my Mother watching me race around the room looking for pen and paper. Yip, I'm that weird!

What I didn't realise was that the message I will be using this Sunday is also a message for me. I need spiritual strength to try to be a Chaplain because the men need me. I can't be their rock if I don't have a rock to support me and I was reminded that God is my rock. He will be standing with me when my hands will be shaking and my voice croaky on Sunday but I know that the men need to hear it. I still don't know exactly what I am going to say. I just pray God gives me the words to share.

We all need spiritual strength because sometimes physical strength is just not enough. Our heart and soul needs support when we find ourselves facing unknown outcomes, fears and even good opportunities. Everything on earth is uncertain and unknown. We can do all things as long as we focus on God because our mistakes can be God's works and our successes can be God's blessings for us. 

We also need to keep up our spiritual strength by praying and reading scripture. By talking to others in our church community. Praising God helps with our spiritual strength too. 

Whether I make a good Chaplain or not and whether they keep me as one, I do know that God is using this chapter in my life for His good and I know in the long run for my good too. A lesson learned, whether a success or a failure, is how we grow in all things and in all things God strengthens us.

God gives us spiritual strength to help us put our own anxieties aside to be able to help others because God knows others need our human strength to share His spiritual strength. We are after all His servants.

I pray that God strengthens you in all things that you are doing and that you never forget to listen to God because He is working in your life to strengthen and prepare you mentally, physically and spiritually for blessings He is and will be bestowing upon you. 

How is God strengthening you in all things? I would love to hear from you.




No comments:

Post a Comment