Wednesday 13 July 2016

Winter Blues means Darker Days (Pt. 2)


So, I return to darkness because it feels like home now. The light scares me. I don’t know it anymore. I see its glow beneath the door in front of me. I turn and look at the window, seeing the moon and just enough stars to feel at home. The light from the corner from the golden writing also catches my attention.  I get anxious and my clothes feel like they are choking me.  The light seems to be growing all around me. Where’s the darkness when I need it?

I can’t feel the cold nibbling my feet anymore. It feels like a gentle heat falling on my feet. I try and bring my feet as close to my body as possible. I don’t want to feel it. My tears fall icily down my cheeks as I beg the moon with my silence for the darkening comfort.  

The gold writing seems to grow in light too as I glance over there. Letters shimmer in the moon light, urging me to open it up and read.  What harm could it do to read it.....again? I wonder as the light grows.

It’s the first time, I noticed it, noticed that night actually still turned to day.  The stream shoots through the window.  I jump out of the stream. My moon and stars have disappeared. Where did my darkness go?  I smile as I look at the stream of light. I can still feel the darkness here. I’m not scared but the stream of light creates curiosity. What would happen if it touched me?

Hesitantly, I slowly wiggle my fingers forward until they are wiggling in the stream. It feels like heat was falling on my fingers. The heat feels like a snake sliding up my arm. My skin is tingling under its power. I close my eyes embracing the sun snake as it slithering seems to spread.

Unable to bear its power, I open my eyes, fresh tears falling as I find my whole body basking in the sun. My soul has returned to the light I knew before.  My soul urges me to pick up the shimmering gold writing in the dark corner. Stepping out of the sun again, I visit the darkness as I pick up the book. I rush back into the stream of light. This is where I need to be.

The darkness has disappeared and the cold no longer nibbles. I turn around and listen again. The joy of the outsiders makes me smile. I will venture there soon but not yet.

My soul has returned home. My mind and body is on its way too. 

  
God has freed us from the power of darkness,
And he brought us into the kingdom of his dear Son.
Colossians 1: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment